I would like to make it clear the Homework expectations for children across school. I am aware that homework can be a divisive subject, with some families embracing homework and others finding the completion of homework tasks a battle. At Upperwood our homework expectations are based around the development of the fundamental skills of reading, times tables knowledge and spellings.
EYFS- Oaks and Elms
· Class teachers communicate through Class Dojo, offering tasks that may be set for home as well as sharing the lovely activities that children undertake outside school
· From October onwards phonic reading books will come home weekly for you to share and practice sounds and words
Year 1 to Year 6
· We expect our pupils to read at home and log this on “Boom Reader”. This should happen at least three times a week, preferably more. Younger children will read with an adult and as they become older will become more independent in their reading and in the logging of their reading
· Children have weekly spellings to learn on “Spelling Shed”, we would like children to practice these spellings on line at least 3 times a week in preparation for our Friday Spelling Battle
· Times tables practice is to be done at least 3 times a week using Times Tables Rock Stars online. In Classes 3, 4 and 5 NUMBOTS is used as a preparation for Times Tables Rock Stars
For those families requiring more homework opportunities you can access the Purple Mash platform where there are numerous opportunities to reinforce school learning in subjects such as Computing, Science, Maths and English.
All pupils have access to these learning platforms through password log ins. If you need any help with log ins please contact the school office.
Upperwood Academy uses Purple Mash to support learning at school and also to access at hone.
Purple Mash is an award-winning platform for primary school children. It enables children to explore and enhance their knowledge in a fun and creative way. Your child will have a login so they can access Purple Mash at home.
· Purple Mash is the platform we use to learn about Computing
· Purple Mash covers all the main subjects we learn at school, plus we can read books on here too!
· Purple Mash contains thousands of tools and activities and is constantly updated with new topical content related to every area of learning in school
· We can save our work online
· We can share our work easily online
· Our teachers can add comments to our work
· All our information is kept safe and secure
You can use Purple Mash on any device including smart phones, desktop PCs and tablets.